The Department of Biotechnology was established in 2003 with a view to disseminating knowledge and train students at undergraduate and graduate levels at BSMRAU. The primary goal of this department is to deliver high class teaching and conduct both basic and applied research in the field of biotechnology.
Course Title : Introductory Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Course Code : BTL 410
Course Credit : 3+1.5
The department offers one core course, BTL 410 Introductory Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering in summer term of BS in Agriculture program. The department has got some good equipment and established a laboratory for practical teaching and research. To conduct research, the department has established collaboration with local and international research groups. Any proposal for collaborative research on any of the following topics of is welcome:
- Signal transduction pathways ofmotility, chemotaxis and differentiation of Peronosporomycete zoospores
- Microbial biopesticides and biofertilizers
- Traditional herbal medicines and their uses in agriculture
- Novel bioactive natural products from plant and microbes and their uses in agriculture
- Adaptation to climate change and food security
Some highly qualified faculty members are responsible for teaching undergraduate students and supervise students to conduct world-class research in biotechnology.
Definition, history, scope, and importance of biotechnology, branches/multidisciplinary nature of biotechnology and genetic engineering, Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering in developing countries. Commercialization of Biotechnology and genetic engineering in a developing country. List of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering products used in Agriculture and their Advantages and Disadvantages.
2. Gene Manipulation:
Recombinant DNA technology, vectors, methods of gene delivery, selection of recombinants, site-specific recombinants/mutagenesis. Application of bacteria and virus in genetic engineering; molecular biology of E.coli and bacteriophage in the context of their use in genetic engineering.
3. Molecular Techniques:
Nucleic acid and enzyme purification, Electrophoresis, PCR, southern, northern and western blotting; DNA sequencing, cDNA, DNA finger printing, Molecular marker and marker assisted selection.
4. Gene cloning:
Restriction endonucleases, ligases and other enzymes useful in gene cloning, uses of plasmid and phases as vector; model vectors for eukaryotes-viruses, use of Agrobacterium for genetic engineering in plants; gene libraries and marker gene.
5. Application of Genetic Engineering in Agriculture:
(a) Plants: pest resistance, herbicide tolerance, resistance to fungi, bacteria and virus, salt, drought, and submergence tolerance, seed quality improvement, Nitrogen Fixation, Photosynthesis and food ripening.
(b) Livestock and Fish: Production of transgenic animal and fish; feed quality improvement; dairy products and milk quality.(c)Medicine and Industry: Commercial synthesis and hormones, vaccines, gene therapy, disease diagnosis, monoclonal antibodies, biomining, forensic medicine, large scale production of organic chemicals.
(d)Biotechnology in service of environment-releated applications: Pollution control, waste disposal, biogas.
Introductory Biotechnolgy and Genetic Engineering-Practical (BTL410)
- Study on some symbols and rules in laboratory.
- Studies on the design and organization of biotechnology laboratory.
- Demonstration on how to use common laboratory equipments for biotechnological research.
- Study on the preparation of different media for tissue culture and microorganisms.
- Study on aseptic manipulation techniques of tissue culture.
- Study on the preparation of explants.
- Study on the nodal culture of potato/orchid/jatropha etc.
- Screening and isolation of phosphate solubilizing bacteria from the rizoplane/rizosphare of native plants.
- Screening and isolation of plant growth promoting bacteria.
- Studies on extraction of herbal medicinal plants and their antimicrobial activities.
- Extraction of genomic DNA from plant sample.
- Field visit.